Thursday, September 23, 2010

What NOW!?!?

It's has been about a month since my show and I haven't done anything since then. School has started back and it has taken over my life it seems, but never fail I will keep creating new work soon or later. Hopefully sooner than later. One main thing that I have to overcome is what am I going to do next. Should I keep creating portraits or something entirely different like abstract landscapes? I really have thought long and hard about this and came to the conclusion that I will create art. One idea that I have thought of is the idea of dreams as a child. In other words "what did you want to be when you grew up?" I had a small drawing from when I was in 1st grade in my show. It was me as a policeman. I really like take this idea and further explore the idea and create a series of works based on this idea. I asked my grandma last night what she wanted to be when she grew up. She said Roy Rogers or a cowgirl. I wouldn't have guess in a thousand years that my grandma wanted to be a cowgirl. But, I guess you never know until you ask.

Another idea was to create a series of works based on what people do in the everyday life that I admire in away. I don't know if this makes sense but, it's a hard thing to describe. I got this idea last night when I was at my grandma's house and she was ironing my clothes for day's student teaching as BSHS. So I'm thinking about doing a series of work honoring these small things that make people important to me in some way. For example, I would create a work that shows my grandma ironing or my dad being the handyman around the house or even my mom cutting coupons out of the paper on Sunday afternoon. I think I want to paint these with an expressive impasto style where you could identify what they are doing, but not the person necessarily. I think this is my best bet yet.

One final idea was the life of books. I know that they are lifeless object that we enjoy by reading, but what if they had a mind of their own. I was in the USCU library the other day and noticed that they stamped the due date inside the back cover. So this caught my attention like many things do, and I began to read all the dates of when they were due. Some of them haven't been checked out since 2000 and others have never been checked out before. I was the first person to check this out. I really don't know where this idea will lead but I'm willing to explore it and create art work out of it somehow.

So, I guess I will have to explore these ideas further and see what happens. Hopefully I will create a series that will speak to the masses.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your ideas -the hard part is making it real, of course. I like the book idea, makes me think of a guerrilla art project of leaving books with interesting things in them for people to find and pass on...

    ReplyDelete