Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chuck Close Want a be...

People often wonder why I do self portraits and I say "I don't really know." However I really do. It's because in high school I had AP Art and I had create 12 artworks that were the same subject matter. I took art so much in high school I already had 6 or 7 self portraits already done and so I decided to keep moving on in that direction. So in college I took painting one class and we had to paint a self-portrait in a famous artist's style and I chose Chuck Close. After many types looking up Close on the internet and in books I realized he also did many self-portraits. This gave me another boost in my self-portrait concept again. In the next semester I took printmaking and this course was more about the processes rather than the subject matter. I used the face or self-portraits in all my printing. From high school and these two college classes I have used my portraits to express emotions and hopefully to engage the viewer.

For this next work I decided to do another Chuck Close work, but with my own twist (hopefully it will work out). I'm very expressive with most of my work, no matter what medium I work with. So here are some of the pictures of the4 beginning and I'll post some more as I get parts of it done.

Self-portrait done in painting one class:



NEW Portrait in progress:



Finished!!!

1 comment:

  1. You can never go wrong with self portraits! Keep creating them throughout your career, and they will serve as record of both your progression as an artist and self.

    ReplyDelete